I'm sure by now you have all heard of the California fires. Luckily we are in a safe zone, there is no way fire is reaching us. There are ashes blowing around, landing on the kids toys, our cars and blowing into our house. As annoying as it all is, those ashes use to be someones home...or their books, or their childhood photographs. How can I let it get to me when we still have a roof over our heads?
I will admit that the kids not playing outside is quite a challenge for us. I guess we never realized how much the outdoors is a part of life here in SoCal. Each day after homework, the boys go outside and play baseball or football until dinner. That is our norm. This change has been an adjustment and a test of my creative ability!!
We normally don't watch the news in front of the kids. The day to day violence that we hear about is, in our minds, nothing children need to hear. We have however made an exception and let them see some of the fire coverage. I think it put it all in some sort of perspective for them. Sean has offered to give some of his toys to kids that have lost theirs. Iain is now walking around talking about how it's all just "stuff", that people keeping safe is what is important! If that is what we've taken away from this, at least something good has come out of it!
This was the first day of wind. Thought the trees would give you an idea of how hard it was blowing.
The beautiful air we were/are breathing. You can see some of the blue sky that is there, but very hard to see. The brown is the smoke/yuck in the air.
The white bits are the ash that was falling everywhere. By the end of each day, the bench would be covered.
No comments:
Post a Comment