Meet the two newest members of our family, Shoa (pronounced: show-ah) and Bius (pronounced: Bee-us).
Last night the three boys were away for Indian Guides. I asked Sara what she wanted to do for our Girl's Night and she said, buy a frog. Okay, easy enough I guess! We already had the 'frog habitat' around the house from a previous frog attempt so it seemed like an easy enough request. We ventured out to the local reptile/amphibian store to see what type of frogs they had. I wasn't sure what type would best fit our situation, small, owned by children, low maintanence...
We walked in and the place was packed! We wiggled our way through and she enjoyed the first set of animals. She liked the smaller snakes, geckos and turtles. She stopped and had a sweet little conversation with a turtle. It was climbing up on the glass and she was sure he was listening to her. I wish I had my camera with me! Then we turned the corner and ended up face to face with huge glass cages filled with snakes that I'm sure ate people my size for dinner. Sara stopped in her tracks, gasped out loud as she covered her mouth and clung to my leg! I actually felt about the same way, but had to put on my game face. We quickly left that area!! Next we fed a bowl full of meal worms to some huge cat fish and turtles. (Have I mentioned how yuck meal worms are??) Finally we made it back to the cute little frogs. After a discussion with an employee we had narrowed it down to either Green Tree Frogs or Fire Bellied Toads. I let Sara choose and we ended up with two Fire Bellied Toads. She carefully chose the two that she wanted and next thing I knew we were walking out the door with some How to care for your Frog information and a very happy little girl carrying her new pets. Funny little tidbit, as we were getting in the car I told her to be very careful with her new friends. She very quickly replied "Frogs are NOT friends Mommy! They are frogs!" Fair enough!
Sara talked to her new not-friends the entire way home. I kept hearing her ask "What your name frog?" she would then lay her ear to the container and listen. When I asked her if they had told her she said "No, I have to sleep tonight to know they're names." Then about 10 minutes after we got home, she proudly proclaimed that their names were Shoa and Bius.
What an adventure! The things we do for our children!!

No comments:
Post a Comment