Wednesday, August 04, 2010

One Step

One step makes a difference. Just ask Iain T. One step that he wasn't expecting turned looking for starfish into an ER.

We were on the beach in Carpinteria searching out starfish (Aren't they called Seastars now??). We didn't even make it the tide pools. Iain T was climbing on the rocks, which all three kids do all the time. The next thing I know, he emerged from the rocks, with a panic stricken look on his face and blood pouring into the sand. I called for Iain who immediately went into action. He laid him on the sand, quickly took his shirt off and tied it tightly around his foot to stop the bleeding. The other dad with us ran for help. I stood and panicked, not so helpful I know! We elevated his foot, kept pressure on the cut and waited for a lifeguard to arrive.

This is while we are waiting. The Camp Host (lady at right) was calling someone but looking back I'm not sure who she needed to call at that moment!

Lifeguard taping up his foot

He was scared, I was scared. It was bloody!

Skip ahead 30 minutes and we were on the way to the ER. We were able to get it stitched up and get back to the campsite within 2 hours.

This is the next morning. We were holding a mirror trying to show him the stitches. He was very excited to see they are blue! :-)


He's doing well now. He's mastered the crutches and is doing well with his restrictions. The stitches are scheduled to come out on the 10th.

No comments: