Walking next to bald women who's going through chemo...seeing 3 and 4 year olds on the side of the road with signs that say "Mommy, you are our hero, you are beautiful" and the mother walks up and is bald. Yet she is walking...when people stand out there all three days to cheer us on. The same people were there at 7:00am when we started, all throughout the walk we'd see them and then again at 7:00pm when we finished. It didn't matter if we were first or last, they had just as much energy to cheer...the Hell's Angels "Moto Crew" who stood at every crosswalk to make sure we got across safely. They were wearing leather pants with pink shirts. Their motorcycles were there decorated with pink. They teared as we walked by, thanking us for what we were doing...the couple who walked hand in hand for the entire weekend. They were walking in honor of their 35 year old daughter who had died of breast cancer...
I can literally go on and on for hours with more stories. It was indeed a journey. One I wish everyone could experience. I will be walking again in November of 2007. Here are a few pics...
This is Billy. He was out everyday all day to cheer us on. Who couldn't smile at the sight of Billy?
These women were also there everyday. They were in pink pj's and fake curlers. They cheered us up every hill (and there were some big ones) with the chant "up the hill, buns of steel". Not that is worked but the thought was there!
This guy stood for 12 hours a day giving "free hugs" to anyone who wanted one. Here's a picture of me with Hug Guy. We weren't exactly at our freshest at this point either!!
This is us at the end! We did it! 3 days 60 miles! (I'm on the right)
1 comment:
Oh Cristie! You made me tear up thinking of how emotional that must have been! What an awesome experience! I'm sure you could write a book on all that you took in... Good for you for taking that journey. I'm awfully proud of you;)
Post a Comment