Sunday, June 10, 2007

Stretch apron strings, stretch!!!!

Alright, my apron strings need to be lengthened a bit here! I know there is a point when I need to 'foster independence' or something along those lines, but this Momma just isn't ready! Today Iain took Sean and Sara to Costco for a bit, Iain T. was outside skateboarding so he decided to stay home. I thought it would be a perfect time to get Monopoly out since Iain T. had been asking to play. I finished a few chores, got the game out and ready and excitedly went outside to get him. I walked out front and saw he was sitting with a few boys from the neighborhood. They were all sitting on their skateboards talking. Iain was definitely the youngest of the group and these are boys who he's really been trying to get to know. They all like to skateboard, Iain almost looks up to them. As soon as I walked out, he gave me a look...it was a look of "don't interrupt Mom". Of course, I'll never know what he was thinking at the time but I'm fairly sure that was the gist of it! Just seeing him there, sitting on his board, looking so big almost shocked me! I turned around, walked back inside and stared at the Monopoly game I had set up. It never crossed my mind that he wouldn't drop everything to play with me!! Yes, of course I had a little pity party (or maybe a big one)!! Is that my little boy out there? He can't be growing up that fast!! Can he?

(Side Note - he came in about 30 minutes later, saw the game and asked if I wanted to play. The hour that followed was filled with trading properties, buying houses and a Mom staring at her little boy taking in every minute of it.)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I am not ready for that either. Ethan plays with a few of the neighborhood kids, but its been the same kids and he never is aloud to leave our yard. Lately he keeps asking me to go to other neighborhood kids houses that live in the neighborhood. I don't know there parents. I just can't let go!! AHHHH!!!!

mamakat7 said...

Oh Cristie! That brought tears to my eyes! They really grow tooo fast. I'm glad you both were able to get in some bonding after he was done "doing his thing"

Jennie said...

Now I'm crying too! I'm so in baby mode right now I can't even imagine the time that they won't be asking me to hold them anymore! I'm glad you got to play when he came inside :)