Saturday, September 01, 2007

He said to do what?

Tuesday morning we had family dentist day! We're really good about taking the boys every 6 months and have since they were each two years old. We decided to take Sara this time as well to get everything checked out, make sure her pearly whites were coming in properly. The boys did great, their teeth were cleaned and all was well. The dentist looked in Sara's mouth and before he was even finished he said "Does she have a pacifier?". I cringed as I answered 'yes', because I knew he couldn't be asking just to make conversation. He went on to tell us that her top jaw was changing shape because of the pacifier (nicknamed mi-mi by Sara). He said it didn't happen in all kids, but he highly recommended we get rid of it! Yikes! Any mother out there knows what I was feeling! How can I take away Mi-Mi??? Her pediatrician had mentioned at her last appointment that I may want to consider getting rid of it sometime soon, and I did plan on it! Sometime soon!! I figured before her birthday I would work on it, but NOW?! Oh' my!
The ironic part of this story is that a friend gave us a book a few weeks back called Bye-Bye Pacifier. I read it to Sara (but changed it to Bye-Bye Mi-Mi). As I read, she sat next to me shaking her head and saying "no" at each page. It was the cutest thing. On about page 4 she closed the book, looked at me, said "no" again and put it away!!! I was trying so hard not to laugh!! Now when she just sees the book, she says 'no' and moves it!
We decided not to start the Bye-Bye Mi-Mi process until she is feeling better. Again, I'm not going to go cold turkey on her, I'll ease her into it! Luckily, she is also very attached to her blankets so she still has something to soothe herself with. Well, Iain got her up the other morning and told her she could bring her blankets downstairs but Mi-Mi stayed in her bed for sleeping. She didn't question it and dropped it right in her bed! For the past two days, she has only had it at night and naps. She seems to be fine with it, really!! Then today while she was playing I saw this...
It's a spinning top! Guess she was trying it on for size!
Then tonight she was rolling around on the floor with her blankets and noticed something under the couch! So she stopped to investigate...
...and dig, until....
Yep, you guess it! She found a Mi-Mi!

Then took off running out of the room!
I have to laugh but it's kind of sad! We did let her keep it for the rest of the evening. Finders keepers right?!

(On a fashion side note: we had taken off her clothes and she is wearing the little panties that go under a skirt. I had to clarify so you all don't think those are short shorts!!)

No comments: