Duke's is our favorite restaurant. It's down on the beach, has amazing fresh fish and we tend to go for special occasions. We don't go for everyday dinners, we do save it for birthdays, anniversaries etc. Last night, being the oh' so special day that it was (wink wink), we headed on down for some yummy food. When we take the kids, we sit in the bar area instead of the restaurant. Let me clarify, when I say 'bar area' it is not a bar. It has a bar but has tables where families sit. It's not just adults. Remember , there is no smoking in CA restaurants also. The kids are not surrounded by drunks who are smoking! Anyway, as we were eating the lady at the table next to us taps me on the shoulder. She introduces herself, her name was Cristine, and she was celebrating her mother's 80th birthday, which happened to be that day as well. Her mother, Dorothy, was this adorable older woman who obviously didn't see very well. She asked if she could talk to the kids. I took Sara over to her, the boys followed. She gently stroked Sara's arm and said hello. I could tell by the smile on her face, that is all she wanted. We talked for a few minutes then returned back to our table. A few more times during dinner Cristine leaned over toward me and spoke about the kids. How beautiful they are, how we should cherish them. I couldn't help but feel a connection with these women. One shared a birthday with me, the other her daughter, had a very similar name. The mother and daughter were making conversation with Sara and I.
Toward the end of the meal, Iain took all three kids to the bathroom. As I was sitting at the table by myself, a gentleman approached. He had been sitting at the bar having a few beers. I noticed him, but didn't think much of it. He looked me straight in my eyes and told me how beautiful my family was. He then told me that he had noticed Sara and she reminded him of his daughter. He paused, then told me how his daughter just went away to college. He paused again, and said "Please enjoy every minute. One day they're small the next they go away to school." It was very touching. I told him we were enjoying it. He then said goodbye and left the restaurant.It was a very surreal experience. The mother-daughter who were celebrating an 80th birthday together. The somewhat sad father who was reminded of his little girl. I walked away from the meal feeling like it was more than a birthday dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment